Thursday, January 20, 2011

Boomerville at Quartzsite--2011

Each year in January the deserts all around Quartzsite, AZ swell with RV'ers. We have attended this unique event several times since 2004, and this year was no exception. We drove north on US 95 from Yuma for 70 miles, then east on I-10 to exit 19 to go 2 miles more miles out into the desert, down a dirt washboard road to gather with our RV friends (approximately 150 RV's) in Boomerville. As you can imagine there are no hookups, so we all come in with full water tanks and empty holding tanks. We use are generator when need for electricity and keep our batteries topped off.


Our time is kept full by activities thought up and posted on the "Boomer" board by fellow boomers. Daily announcements, happy hours, morning walks, hikes into the desert, movies, presentations, geo-caching, 4x4 outings, potlucks, chili-cook-offs, campfires, wine-tasting, games, meals in and out, crafting, beading, jewelery making, discussions on smart phones and so much more. So many decisions--ah but so much fun!!

Then there is the "Big Tent" in town and all of the hundreds of vendors throughout Q selling everything and anything an RV'er could possibly want or need. So much to see, incredible amount of stuff for sale, so many good deals and thousands of people everywhere you look--it can be overwhelming after a while. So the trips into to town are planned accordingly--what's going on today that I may want to do, how much energy do I have, what do I think I need,  do I really want to face the masses of people or do I just want sit out my home "for now" in Boomerville, reading a book, chatting with a friend or relax (aka sleep) in my reclining lawn chair--hum...guess what I pick most days.

No comments: